Water treatment and environmental chemistry. Especially in the control of disinfection by-products in drinking water, adsorption and removal of arsenic and heavy metals from water and soil systems.
Academic and administration position:
Director, Office of Lab and Equipment Administration, Tongji University
As a reviewer, Zhiliang Zhu serves the several international peer reviewed journals including Journal of Hazardous Materials, Chemical Engineering Journal,Journal of Applied Geochemistry, Electrochemistry Communications, Journal of Environmental Sciences，Separation Science and Technology, Desalination and so on.
2001 Ph. D., Environmental Engineering, Tongji University
1988 M.S., Inorganic Chemistry, East China University of Science and Technology
Zhiliang ZHU Joined Tongji University in 1988 in Department of Chemistry, and has been working in School of Environmental Science and Engineering since 2003. From 1988, he has been a lecturer(1990), associate professor(1996) and professor (2002) in Tongji University.
General Chemistry; Environmental Chemistry; Green Chemistry
Scientific Research Projects:
The projects undertook by Zhiliang Zhu are mainly supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China, Hi-Tech Research and Development Program of China and the National Major Project of Science & Technology Ministry of China.
1. Bo Chen, ZhiLiang Zhu*, Jun Hong, Zhipan Wen, jie ma, YanLing Qiu and Junhong Chen. Nanocasted Synthesis of Ordered Mesoporous Cerium Iron Mixed Oxide and Its Excellent Performances for As(V) and Cr(VI) Removal from Aqueous Solutions. Dalton Transactions, 2014,43: 10767-10777 (SCI)
2. Jun Hong, Zhiliang Zhu*, Hongtao Lu, and Yanling Qiu. Synthesis and arsenic adsorption performances of ferric-based layered double hydroxide with α-alanine intercalation. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2014, 252: 267-274. (SCI)
3 .Bo Chen, Zhiliang Zhu,* Jie Ma* , Yanling Qiu and Junhong Chen. Surfactant assisted Ce–Fe mixed oxide decorated multiwalled carbon nanotubes and their arsenic adsorption performance. J. Mater. Chem. A, 2013, 1, 11355-11367 (SCI )
4. Yanwei Guo, Zhiliang Zhu*, Yanling Qiu, Jianfu Zhao. Enhanced Adsorption of Acid Brown 14 Dye on Calcined Mg/Fe Layered Double Hydroxide with Memory Effect. Chemical Engineering Journal，2013, 219: 69-77 (SCI)
5. Bo Chen, Zhiliang Zhu*, Yanwei Guo, Yanling Qiu and Jianfu Zhao. Facile Synthesis of Mesoporous Ce-Fe Bimetal Oxide and Its Enhanced Adsorption of Arsenate from Aqueous Solutions. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science ，2013, 398: 142-151 (SCI)
6. Yan-wei Guo, Zhi-liang Zhu*, Yan-ling Qiu, Jian-fu Zhao. Adsorption of Arsenate on Cu/Mg/Fe/La Layered Double Hydroxide from Aqueous Solutions. Journal of Hazardous Materials，2012，239-240：279- 288 (SCI)
7. Yanling Qiu, Anna Strid, Anders Bignert, Zhiliang Zhu, Jianfu Zhao, Maria Athanasiadou,Ioannis Athanassiadis Ake Bergman. Chlorinated and brominated organic contaminants in fish from Shanghai markets: A case study of human exposure. Chemosphere,2012, 89: 458–466 (SCI)
8. Huijie Shi, Guohua Zhao, Tongcheng Cao, Meichuan Liu, Chong Guan, Xiaofeng Huang, Zhiliang Zhu. Selective and visible-light-driven profenofos sensing with calixarene receptors on TiO2 nanotube film electrodes. Electrochemistry Communications, 2012, 19,111–114 (SCI)
9. Jianwei Lin, Yanhui Zhan, Zhiliang Zhu. Adsorption characteristics of copper (II) ions from aqueous solution onto humic acid-immobilized surfactant- modified zeolite. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering spects，2011，384：9-16. (SCI)
10. Jianwei Lin, Yanhui Zhan, Zhiliang Zhu. Adsorption of tannic acid from aqueous solution onto surfactant-modified zeolite. Journal of Hazardous Materials，2011， 193：102–111. (SCI)
11 Shao-Gang, ZHU Zhi-Liang*, FAN Chen-Feng , QIU Yan-Ling , ZHAO Jian-Fu. Effect of seasonal variation on formation of trihalomethane during chlorination of water samples from Yangtze River and associated cancer risk assessment, Journal of Environmental Science, 2011,23（9）：1503–1511 (SCI)
12.Yanhui Zhan, Jianwei Lin, Zhiliang Zhu. Removal of nitrate from aqueous solution using cetylpyridinium bromide (CPB) modified zeolite as adsorbent，Journal of Hazardous Materials，2011，186，（2-3）：1972-1978（SCI）
13. Jianwei Lin, Yanhui Zhan, Zhiliang Zhu. Evaluation of sediment capping with active barrier systems (ABS) using calcite/zeolite mixtures to simultaneously manage phosphorus and ammonium release. Science of the Total Environment， 409 (2011) 638–646（SCI）
14. LIU Shao-Gang, ZHU Zhi-Liang* , QIU Yan-Ling, ZHAO Jian-Fu.. Effect of Ferric and Bromide Ions on the Formation and Speciation of Disinfection Byproducts during Chlorination.《Journal of Environmental Science》2011，,2（5）：765-772（SCI）
15. Yanhui ZHAN, Jianwei LIN, Yanling QIU, Naiyun GAO, Zhiliang Zhu*. Adsorption of humic acid from aqueous solution using bilayer hexadecyl trimethyl ammonium bromide modified zeolite.《Frontiers of Environmental Science & Engineering in China》2011,5（1）：65-75 (SCI)
16. Hua Zhang, Zhiliang Zhu*, Noboru Yoshikawa. Microwave enhanced stabilization of copper in artificially contaminated soil.《Frontiers of Environmental Science & Engineering in China》2011，5（2）：205-211（SCI）
17. Hongmei MA, Zhiliang Zhu*, Lijing DONG, Yanling QIU, Jianfu ZHAO.Removal of Arsenate from Aqueous Solution by Manganese and Iron (hydr)oxides Coated Resin《Separation Science and Technology》2011,46（1）：130-136（SCI）
18. Lijing Dong, Zhiliang Zhu,*, Yanling Qiu, Jianfu Zhao. Removal of lead from aqueous solution by hydroxyapatite/magnetite composite adsorbent. Chemical Engineering Journal ，2010，165： 827–834（SCI）
19. Yanhui Zhan1, Zhiliang Zhu*, Jianwei Lin , Yanling Qiu, Jianfu Zhao.Removal of humic acid from aqueous solution by cetylpyridinium bromide modified zeolite. Journal of Environmental Science, 2010,22: 9, 1327-1334（SCI）
20. DONG Lijing, ZHU Zhiliang*, MA Hongmei, QIU Yanling, ZHAO Jianfu. Simultaneous Adsorption of Lead and Cadmium on MnO2-Loaded Resin. 《Journal of Environmental Science》，2010，22（2）：225-229 （SCI）
21. Zhiliang Zhu*, Ling LI, Hua ZHANG, Yanling QIU , Jianfu ZHAO. Adsorption of Lead and Cadmium on Ca-Deficient Hydroxyapatite.Separation Science and Technology, 2010, 45 (2): 262 – 268（SCI）
22. ZHU Zhi-Liang*, ZHANG Li-Hua, ZHANG Hua, QIU Yan-Ling and ZHAO Jian-Fu. Extraction of Cadmium from Sewage Sludge with Poly-epoxy-succinic Acid. Pedosphere，2009，19（2）：137-142（SCI）
23. ZHANG Li-hua, ZHU Zhi-liang*, ZHANG Rong-hua, ZHENG Cheng-song, ZHANG Hua, QIU Yan-ling, ZHAO Jian-fu. Extraction of Copper from Sewage Sludge Using Biodegradable Chelant EDDS. Journal of Environmental Science，2008，20: 970-974.（SCI）
24. Ying Liu , Ling Chen, Zhao Jianfu , Huang Qinghui, Zhu Zhiliang, Gao Hongwen. Distribution and sources of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in surface sediments of rivers and an estuary in Shanghai, China. Environmental Pollution，2008（154）298-305（SCI）
25. ZHU Zhi-liang*, MA Hong-mei, ZHANG Rong-hua, GE Yuan-xin, ZHAO Jian-fu. Removal of cadmium by MnO2 loaded D301 resin .Journal of Environmental Science，2007，19（6）：652～656.（SCI）
26. Zhi-liang ZHU *，Yuan-xin GE， Rong-hua ZHANG, Hong-mei MA，Jian-fu ZHAO. Rapid Determination of HAAs Formation Potential (HAAFP) of Humic Acid by Using GC-ECD. 《Chemical Research in Chinese Universities》2007，23(3):268~272.（SCI）
27. Yanling Qiu , Jianfu Zhao, Huiqi Hou , Tian Li , Ling Chen, Zhiliang Zhu. Transmission flash photolysis of titanium dioxide photooxidation of pyrogallol.《C. R. Chimie》, 2008,11: 120--124（SCI）
28. ZHU Zhi-liang*,, Liang Xiao-ming, Zhang Rong-hua. Determination of the Dissociation Constants of Polyaspartic acid. 《Chinese Journal of Analytical Chemistry (In Chinese)》, 2005, 33(12): 1722-1724 （SCI）
Awards and patents:
Zhiliang ZHU’s research group has applied for more than 10 patents and six of them have been authorized, he has been conferred awards three times on the water treatment field by the ministry of education of China and the local government of Shanghai.